No Clear Evidence That Most New Cancer Drugs Extend or Improve Life

Most new drugs approved for cancer in Europe lack clear evidence of extended survival or improved quality of life for patients, according to a new study published by the British Medical Journal (BMJ).

The research team from King’s College London and the London School of Economics examined reports on cancer treatment approvals by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) from 2009 to 2013.

Of 68 cancer treatments approved during that time, 57% (39) entered the market without clinically beneficial evidence supporting that they extended survival or improved the quality of patients’ lives.

After 5 years on the market, only 51% (35) had shown a survival or quality of life gain over existing treatments or placebo out of the 68 cancer treatments approved by the EMA. There is still uncertainty over whether the remaining 33 (49%) drugs extend survival or improve quality of life.


Avatar

Alanna M.

Alanna M. is a graduate of Pace University.


Did you find this article helpful?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Covid-19: Side Effects of Trump’s Treatments

Covid-19: Side Effects of Trump’s Treatments

President Donald Trump announced (via Twitter, of course) what some considered unthinkable, and others considered inevitable — that he had tested positive for Covid-19. Over the weekend, he received various treatments  — supplements like vitamin D, zinc and melatonin, an experimental antibody combination, an antiviral drug and a powerful anti-inflammatory…

Un-Sheltering Tips for Your Health and Immune System

Un-Sheltering Tips for Your Health and Immune System

As we all emerge from our bubbles of limited contact with others, we are walking straight into the double whammy of flu season and COVID-19 germs. Can your body fight off exposure to the flu and COVID? Your immune system feeds off the basics of life — sleep, movement, food…